Today is the Sunday of my birthday. As most of you know, all our birthdays are celebrated on Sundays. My real birthday is December 11th.
Nate worked with his Mom to make my birthday dinner. He made the birthday hats himself. He "just knew how" to make them. It turns out they were for Thanksgiving, but either did not get done or were not used for another obscure reason. Since it would be very difficult to eat with these hats, we had them on for pictures only. The plan is to save them for the next birthday which would be Grammie. Be prepared, Grammie.
Nate dressed up for dinner. He wore new pants, shoes, and socks. He wore a Hawaiian print shirt! He made me close my eyes as I entered the kitchen door until he led me to the dining room where I opened my eyes to candle light and a table beautifully set for a birthday dinner.
He still is not clear on the concept that only the birthday person gets presents. However, he does accept the explanation without whining or tears. He picked out the wraping paper for my present -- spiderman!
Then back to our house for the gifts from Grandpa. He got bicycles for us. I am excited, although, when I saw the 2 wheels, I thought it was a cart for Goliath [which is on my Santa list]. There were two boxes. When I opened the second box and there were 2 more wheels, I said, "it has 4 wheels?" Then it dawned on me that it was two bikes. Harold got a good laugh with that one and says I cannot possibly think he would buy me a cart for Goliath. But I possibly do think that!!
While we were having [chocolate] cake, Nate said, "Grandma, how old are you?" When I told him, he said, "Wow, you are older than my Dad." We all had a laugh about that, but the following statement was the best: "but he's still taller than you". I guess he believes his Dad is better at everything, so since he could not be older [apparently a good thing when you are 5] he at least is taller!!
I am not leaving Luci out, but Luci was just not all that excited about my birthday. She did, however, tell Grandpa before we went to Rebekah's for dinner, that "she [Grandma] is the very best person"! I'll take that! No need for more!
Today is very cold - zero degrees this morning and in the low 20's now. We got a couple inches of sparkling snow. I'll wait for that to melt before I ride the bike!
Since I fell off a horse last week and broke a couple ribs, I'll probably wait a few weeks to try the bike. I told Harold we would go to the trail [in Franktown] and ride. Nate said that he wanted to go so I said he could. He then said, "you should follow me because I know the way". What would we do without him?
He was the man of the house tonight. It was quite impressive. He decided when the table candles would be blown out. [mercifully, there were no cake candles] However, I did have to insist he finish chewing and swallowing the food that was in his mouth before blowing. I forgot to be sure Luci did the same, so Rebekah got sprayed with something [she sat across the table from Luci] during the candle blowing out affair.
Pictures to follow. I was not organized enough to get everything in the same post.
Sunday, December 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I did not know you broke ribs, Nathan left out that detail! Ouch!
Post a Comment